Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Japanese Curry & Rice

Does your child eat enough vegetables?

Thankfully, my daughter doesn't hate them, but she refuses to eat now and then.

I often make Cream Stew or Japanese Curry for dinner. It's easy to make, and clear the vegetables in the fridge! And the best part is that my daughter likes them and she eats everything in them!


My curry is sweet. Compared to the most curry that served in Japan, it's really sweet. and yummy!


What you need:
vegetables, anything in the fridge!
Potatoes, onions, and carrots are very common.

Today, I added...
potatoes, carrots, onions, sweet peas, baby corns, broccoli, mushrooms, bell peppers, (I actually used "Asian Stir Fry Mix" from Trader Joes today.) Added extra potatoes, though.

chicken

apple

raisins- this pack is from Trader Joes. Adding raisins makes it sweet!


Rice!! I buy Koshihikari from Japanese grocery store! My daughter and I eat rice almost everyday.. I even bought Japanese Rice Cooker when I moved here. This is very important for my life.. and hot bath every night. haha

Japanese Curry paste ( I like mixing two different curry. Vermont x Golden both "Mild")



Here's what you do.

Chop all the vegetables and apples in pieces. (I used one apple today) *Potatoes melt easily, so cut them bigger than others

Put vegetables in the deep pan.
Add water and put the lid on, boil, then turn the heat on low, put the lid back on.
Add some oil in a frying pan, (I use grape seed oil from trader joes) and fry (not deep fry, just cook) the chicken until you don't see any rare part. Oh I added salt and pepper here..

Add the cooked chicken and apples in the deep pan/pot. Put the lid on again, and cook until apples are soft. heat on Medium.



When it's done, add pastes (I used half of each today) heat on low, gently mix.
Add raisins, and mix.

 Tadaa!! I made the rice in a star shape for my daughter :)
The red thing on the side is some pickles. (called Fukujin zuke)


Itadakimasu!!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks so yummy. I have absolutely no idea why, but my kids love their veggies. They also love rice. I am going to try this next week! Thank you for the information on the curry paste. I am buying those tomorrow. I love sweet curry! Yum! Can't wait!

    Thank you Keiko!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! let me know when you make one!! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks so good!! I love the raisin idea!!

    ReplyDelete